Posts tagged survival
I saw the movie Outlander last night, which is quite OK if you are into Norse and viking movies. The character Kainan (played by James Caviezel) reminded me of He-Man, but this is besides the point. The movie triggered an interesting discussion between me and my friend Horea – the subject being:
What if you could somehow solve the problem of general relativity and time dilation and travel back into 900 AD, the time of vikings?
Can you somehow manage to survive into such a primitive society? What would your tricks be? Can you teach them something from the future if your life depended on it? Any survival tips? We reached the conclusion that without our means of production and the sharing of information, we are pretty useless in that time and we cannot survive for long. Unless you’re skilled at wilderness survival, finding edible food, shelter, and potable water in a time when those things were much more scarce than now will prove difficult.
Here’s my list of 10 “commandments” you need to follow during these harsh times ahead. Make them your new year resolution, and please feel free to add more to the list.
1. If you can’t pay cash, you can’t afford it. Time to cut up those credit cards. Don’t be stupid, it’s not free money.
2. Invite friends to your house. You don’t have to spend the gas to drive, and you can get as drunk as you want, since you are already home. Play some card games, it’s great fun.
3. Have lots of sex. It’s free and it feels really good. Also, you won’t need the heat as high, afterwards.
4. Get rid of cable. It’s a rip-off, and there’s nothing on it worth a shit, anyways. I assume you have a computer if you are reading this, so why don’t you try some good old YouTube or Hulu instead?
5. Terra Romana, dry wine – 8 €/ bottle
6. Buy regular unleaded or diesel (not premium or super). Your car needs to make sacrifices too. I guarantee it will still run fine. If it needs service, try a smaller service shop and not expensive car dealer shops.
7. Time to be a coupon or a discount “weirdo”. 50% off is quite a catch.
8. Keep your sense of humor.
9. Shower together. (hubba hubba)
10. Don’t pout, make “survival” an adventure.